For a total of 158 years the Knauss House sheltered the descendants of Sebastian Heinrich Knauss - seven generations were born within its walls. Upon the death of Mary Ellen (Adrain) Knauss in 1931, widow of Herman Knauss, the house and surrounding thirty five acres were purchased at auction by Atty. Dewey Marcks.
Although the Marcks family installed electricity, heating and a kitchen, the house was never used by them as a permanent residence. Upon the death of Mrs. Marcks in 1972, the house remained vacant for the next 20 years.
In 1992 the property was acquired from the Marcks estate by the Borough of Emmaus.
The Knauss Homestead is listed on the National Registry of Historical Landmarks.